Fort Worx is a job readiness pre-apprenticeship program for young adults age 18 -24 interested in careers in the foodservice industry. It is offered in collaboration with Tarrant Area Food Bank, Taste Project, and The Culinary School of Fort Worth, supported by Workforce Solutions of Tarrant County. The 16-week program provides training and on-the-job learning in the fundamentals of food preparation.
Who Should Apply?
- An interest in learning the fundamentals of food prep, food safety and nutrition.
- A desire to gain employment in fast-casual restaurants, food manufacturing, and institutional foodservice operations, such as hospitals, schools and hotels.
- The ability to work with a diverse population and to project a positive attitude.
- Able to lift 30poundsand to perform continuous walking, stooping and standing.
- Applicants must be eligible to work in the United States, have a high school diploma or GED, be 18 years or older, have reliable transportation (includes public transportation), and screen negative for drug use.
Weekly Schedule and Compensation
- Ability to commit to a 16-week full-time program with no unexcused absences.
- First 8-weeks completed at Tarrant Area Food Bank, M –F, 8 AM –5 PM with hands-on instruction and paid on-the-job learning in a commercial kitchen, transforming donated food into nutritious meals (paid 20 hours per week).
- Second 8-weeks externship at Taste Project, a pay-what-you-can restaurant, with availability to work a varied schedule T–Sun,8 AM –8 PM (paid 20 hours per week).
Certifications and Job Placement Assistance
- Apprentices will be qualified as Certified Fundamentals Cooks through the ACF upon completion of the program and passing the ACF exam.
- Assistance with job placement and eligibility to continue education in The Culinary School of Fort Worth’s apprenticeship program.
How to Apply
Applications will be solicited through Workforce Solutions for Tarrant County and graduates of local high school culinary arts programs. For more information, please visit:
Fort Worx is an Equal Opportunity Program.