If you love to be in the kitchen, then we have an opportunity for you! The Kitchen Team is responsible for ensuring the highest food quality. The Food Prep Team is responsible for ensuring the highest food quality. Food Prep includes cleaning chopping, and preparing raw ingredients. And Prep Cooks and Line Cooks take direction from the Executive Chef to create each plate.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Inspect and clean, and maintain food preparation areas, such as equipment and work surfaces, or serving areas to ensure safe and sanitary food-handling practices.
- Ensure freshness of food and ingredients by checking for quality, keeping track of old and new items, and rotating stock.
- Wash, peel, cut, and seed fruits and vegetables to prepare them for consumption.
- Stocks and maintains sufficient levels of food products at line stations to support a smooth service period.
- Weigh, measure, and mix ingredients according to recipes or personal judgment, using various kitchen utensils and equipment.
- Prepare relishes and hors d’oeuvres.
- Bake breads, rolls, cakes, and pastries.
- Butcher and dress animals, fowl, or shellfish, or cut and bone meat prior to cooking.
- Portion, arrange, and garnish food, according to standard portion sizes and recipe specifications.
- Manage all checklists for the Kitchen Team.
- Provide leadership and answer key questions of the Kitchen Team, and report critical issues to the manager.
- Assist the Executive Chef in expediting.
- Perform cleaning duties, such as sweeping and mopping floors, vacuuming carpet, and tidying up host stand, taking out trash, and checking and cleaning bathroom.
- No experience needed to volunteer on the Prep Team. On-site training will be provided.
- Prep Cook must complete onsite training. (Pre-requisite: Prep Team Training)
- Line Cook must complete on-site training. (Pre-requisite: Prep Cook Training).
- Kitchen Team Lead must complete on-site training and maintain a valid Food Handlers Card. (Pre-requisite: Line Cook Training and 20 hours of service which can be waived with prior experience verification)
Taste Community Restaurant is open Tuesday – Sunday (closed on Monday). Our Volunteer Coordinator will connect with you to schedule a shift that works with your schedule. Typical volunteer shifts on the Kitchen Team are 3 hours each and cover the following times:
- 9:00am – 12:00pm
- 10:00am – 1:00pm
- 11:00am – 2:00pm
- 12:00pm – 3:00pm
- 1:00pm – 4:00pm