Taste Project is competing in this year’s KERNEL LIVE! for seed funding to support the expansion of its pay-what-you-can meal service to include breakfast. “Currently, we are only open for lunch from 11:00am – 2:00pm which only utilizes a portion of our potential,” says Taste Project Executive Director, Jeff Williams. “Adding breakfast service will allow us to feed, educate, and serve more people in Tarrant county with our existing restaurant facility.”
“We believe everyone should have access to healthy and nutritious food, which is a significant challenge in Tarrant County where nearly 17% are food insecure–36% of which do not qualify for government programs,” noted Julie Williams, Taste Project Board Member. “Expansion allows us to have a greater impact on our community.”
Taste Project presented during Wednesday’s semi-finalist round and placed in the United Way’s top 3. As a result, Taste Project will take their pay-what-you-can breakfast program proposal to the finale at the KERNEL LIVE! pitch competition.
“We are pleased to present our KERNEL social innovation competition for the third year,” said TD Smyers, president and CEO of United Way of Tarrant County. “We are impressed with the three finalists and are thrilled to be offering $50,000 in seed money to help their ideas grow, in addition to the mentoring, technical assistance and guidance we provide the winning organizations.”
Other finalists include the Welman Project, and Rosa es Rojo. Each finalist will present before a panel of judges and community members during the KERNEL LIVE! event on Thursday, November 1st at Four Day Weekend Theater. $25,000 will be awarded for first place, $15,000 for second place, and $10,000 for third place.
Here’s how you can help Taste Community Restaurant launch for breakfast!
ABOUT TASTE PROJECT’S PROGRAM PROPOSAL
Taste Project is established to feed, educate, and serve our community so they may, “…taste and see the Lord is good.” (Psalm 34:8). We believe everyone should have access to healthy and nutritious food. And it is our vision to see our community be the response to the challenges our community faces as it relates to hunger. Our first project is a pay-what-you-can restaurant providing meals to 20% of guests in need based on the generosity of the remaining 80% of guests. We are seeking KERNEL seed funding to support meal service expansion to include breakfast.
ABOUT KERNEL LIVE